Monday, October 11, 2010

various vienna








Never fails that drawing in public leads to particular types of exchange. There is an assumed generosity from the other side, the audience side. You as the drawer are paying a compliment: I like your place, am taking note. People can watch something coming to life, a performance of sorts. Then they start talking. The other day I found a new (to me) ice cream place as a result of my drawing around the Schwedenplatz. I was headed to the famous one on the corner, but a resident (albeit an American as it turned out) told me of Zanoni’s just a few meters beyond. Not in the guide books, but better he said. Cannot say for sure as I made no direct comparison, but nocciola and banana on a homemade cone, excellent.

Drawing on the iphone is a far more private affair. In fact, I think people assume you are texting or calling, when in fact you are painting. It keeps people at bay, quite the opposite of drawing in a sketchbook. Perhaps it is a matter of size. But the other thing I realized this afternoon is that where I am slightly intimidated to actually paint, get started in the open air, in public; with this new application, I feel freer to abstract situations, focus on a feeling, and less the facts.



No comments: