Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Fudge Judging









No amount of spinning can swirl away gains from a complete Provincetown fudge comparison report, so I’ll break it out here at four. The prevailing flavor is penuche with walnuts or pecans - number one and descending: the Purple Feather; The Penny Patch; The Fudge Factory; and finally, Cabot’s.

Fudge should be dense, rich, not struggling to hold its shape as the Fudge Factory’s. It should not be waxy like Cabot’s. And the Purple Feather, I have to admit, technically falls out of the control of my scientific method since it was maple flavor. And maple is not penuche as one proprietor told me. penuche is brown sugar, butter and only vanilla flavoring. Maybe she thought since I was from the south I should go ahead and merge maple and penuche. One less thing to rattle around in that head.

(Note that these are off-season results.
Turnover may affect freshness, though I hear fudge lasts a long time)

What makes fudge, fudge? Cathy asks.
I hope the answer is not something like sweetened condensed or
partially evaporated milk products.
Ignorance is best in this instance.
I fear corn syrup is the winner.



No comments: