Friday, July 4, 2008

Likeness


Specimen trees are symbols. The Boonville Big Band, whom I had the pleasure of hearing rehearse for several hours at the Anderson Valley High School, embraces a cast of characters who reminded me of this tree. Larry comes to mind - sliding his trombone to his own rhythm, but still in sync. A little guidance goes a long way. 

Big band leaders share lineage or at least behavioral traits with those mesmerizing conductors of the past. I spent an evening rocking in my seat as Bob, a former clarinet player and high school band man, lead an eclectic collection of Anderson valley folk in preparation for the fourth of July concert. While I listen to lots of music, seeing people play live and with one another is addictive like sports. The inescapable in the moment demands of keeping time, hearing others, and reacting moves me like nothing else. If you get a chance head to Mendocino tomorrow and fill your heart with the Boonville Big Band. 

No comments: