Saturday, July 5, 2008

Crossing Wyoming

I suppose Best Western is its chain name - Outlaw Inn is where I rested last night and just ate breakfast. Accompanying me was the Casper Star Tribune (though I am in Rock Springs) and its assembly of headlines is worth noting. 

The United States is unprepared for an asteroid attack.

Handguns by Hand
"Wyoming remains a raw, sparsely settled place where guns are a way of life. Wildlife
is thick and people hunt to eat." The guy who owns the store is proudly holding what looks
to me like a pistol with a long goose neck.

(I order a Belgium waffle)

Rainbow Family attacks Forest Service Officers

And lastly, going national, old homey Helms finally dies. All I could think was how did this man with so much evil in his heart manage to die the same day as John Adams. Who gave him the right to command a headline on the day we celebrate our collective citizenship? (remember his nightly "viewpoint" on the news in the late 60's Wren?)
Off for another driving day. There would be days like this Mama said.



No comments: