Wednesday, June 4, 2008

More Camping Revelations


Another Pine Creek spot. Another strange twist of messages.
Back to camping. For novices like me it is the little things that stick with you.
Digging a hole for my own toilet for example.
Making my foot into a careful backhoe, plowing it all under. Seems so "green" you know, almost virtuous: no water, no utilities, no waste. But is it really?
Another matter of scale and proportion. Two people on six hundred acres - no problem.
Two million, maybe not. We'd run out of top soil fast.
Glad the Romans came along when they did.

I've not done any tallies, but despite the rising price of gas, the cost to come across the country and take three weeks doing it is surprisingly low. Well at least the way we've done it. Hotels for less than $50 per night (and only when absolutely necessary - four total), a manual Volvo getting a whopping 35 miles to the gallon, and cooking all our own meals except a few here and there. A block of ice last forever in my Coleman cooler - a beautiful traveling refrigerator. My kind of trip - rough guess, less than $500 each for everything: food, lodging, transportation. 

No comments: