Friday, September 24, 2010

Weathered



Diana says some of the most poignant things out of the blue. "Sometimes when I look at older people I can see them as young and I think how beautiful they are." What a gift – to see backwards, or to have that inclination of spirit to look at a weathered surface and see beauty. Reminds me of that movie I love called 84 Charing Cross (starring Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins) that documents a forty-year correspondence by mail between a London bookseller and a New York writer. I know it is hopelessly nostalgic, but I practically cry when I see each of them typing their letters, smiling, crying, and waiting for the next to arrive.

When I saw Joan, founder of the newcomers group, (a spry ninety year old) whip out her “diary” as they call it, and then her friend doing the same, I just had to snap a shot.


No comments: